Friday, April 16, 2010

Bees

Kids are great. Not only do they love you unconditionally and feel good in your arms, but they offer endless amounts of entertainment on so many levels. Sometimes they are purposely trying to make you laugh or pay attention to them, sometimes it's an accident.

My piglet always brings a smile to my face. This time we were researching honey bees for a report she has for school. Research for reports not really my favorite thing but, as parents, our jobs go beyond food and shelter. So, bee research it is.

Well, there wasn't anything she did directly that was so amusing. But it was due to her bee paper that I had a good laugh, and now have a new respect for bees.

You see, bees are a female driven society of creatures. The first thing to note is that the male of the species serves one single, important function...for mating. That's their purpose in life. I'm quite sure human males will be saying 'yee haw' right about now, but let me continue. The second important, and amusing, feature of the male bees is that once they have served their purposes as successful mates, they die! Kinda makes that one, first time extra special, don't it?

Well, if that isn't enough, poor guys, come Autumn in the female dominated hive those boys lucky enough to still be living, virgins though they are, will be kicked out of the hive for the winter months, not being allowed to return until the summer.

Call me an optimist, but isn't that poetic justice?

Nature is a thing of beauty.

2 comments:

non compos mentis said...

I knew about the men bees living to mate n all that stuf...But didn know they were thrown out in winter... Thats sad.. poor men bees....

sissy said...

LOL, I guess it is kinda of sad.