Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Dave Matthews

Ok, this kind of an odd topic. However, it's one I am quite fond of. I really love the music of Dave Matthews Band. And he's cute and charming as well. How can you not love that lazy drawl to his voice, people?? Honestly...oh, wait, I digress.

Cuteness aside, the music of this band really hits home for me. One of the things I like best about what I consider quality music is music that doesn't sound like anyone else(and there's no brainer music too, different kind of joy). I love it when you can hear only a few notes and know who it is because they are unique.

And I love when the words of the music mean something to me. I'm not saying I'm looking for something profound and intense every time I turn on the player, but when the lyrics move me, make me feel, then I know it's something special. It's the kind of feeling you get when you hear and you think to yourself, "Hey, they wrote that for me," because it fits so damn well.

Well, Dave Matthews does that for me. Not every single song mind you, but many of them. I love that bluesy, lazy, dramatic, kinda African beat. At best, the music makes me want to dance or make love. At worst, I cry. Whatever the case may be, more often than not, it moves me.

I often will listen to the lyrics (which can be a chore believe me) and I know that those thoughts come from something, something that goes beyond just fitting music to words, they are a part of something bigger. Now, I know what it may have meant to whoever wrote it may not be what it means to me, but I get it anyway. I feel the passion and intensity anyway. The autonomy of art makes it mine anyway. Sorry, Dave, you gave it away.

Naturally, I have some favorites: Crush, Don't Drink the Water, Smooth Rider, Halloween, Grey Street, Crash, Stay (Wasting Time) are just a few of my personal faves. You should give them a try. I have to caution, however, that in my experience with this band is that you either love or hate them. So don't be worried if you listen and don't like it, it is what it is.

As a side note, Dave Matthews has also dabbed in acting. He was in the remake of Where the Red Fern Grows, Because of Winn-Dixie and perhaps others, but I'm not sure. I don't suppose he'll win an Oscar any time soon, but he has a charm that sooths.

So, I urge you all to let me know what you think of Dave Matthews Band. Also, if you live in the California area I also ask for someone to go to a concert with me. No one I know likes him!! It's a travesty. Now, I can't really afford tickets (holy crap, they're expensive and sell out fast), but I'm willing to start saving if I don't have to go it alone. :-)

Don't Know Why I Like to Carry On....

Sissy

0 comments: