Monday, May 12, 2008

Sometimes Sadness Feels Good

Ok, generally speaking being sad is not a good thing. We feel sad and it's miserable. We think of sadness as a negative, something to overcome. And, for the most part,that's the case. It's tough to think of any times where it made us feel good to feel sad. It actually sounds a bit impossible. However, it's not.

I discovered that it's quite possible to be both sad and glad about it at the same time. Today was my last day at the bank. I start my new job at the courthouse tomorrow. I'm excited and nervous, definitely hating being the new kid on the block.

I was not looking forward to this day. I really like my bank job. Some things I didn't like, that's normal stuff. However, for the most part, I love the job. Mostly I love because of who I work with, as opposed to the actual job itself. The relationship I have with the girls is amazing. Today I realized how much it meant to me to know them.

They were very disheartened today, as was I. I was given beautiful notes and gestures of friendship. The things the girls expressed to me were so touching and loving. I am so proud to call them friends. Their words of encouragement for my future, joy at knowing me, and sadness at my leaving was intense.

Hence, the ability to feel glad about being sad. I was, and am, so sad about no longer spending time with each day, laughing and joking with our customers made me cry. Yet the joy that they feel as close to me as I do to them made that sadness sweet. I was glad they were upset and didn't want to me to go. It let me know that the friendships I've built there are real.

And, of course, I'll miss my customers, the wonderful local business people who I have been lucky to know. I'll miss Nick from Kragen Auto Parts, Mike from Sentry Market, Caroline from Curry's, Judy from Blue Lakes, Jag from New Marina, Jeff from Grocery Outlet, and many more. But I won't miss Michaela from the county, as I now am lucky enough to be able to call her a co worker at the courthouse.

So, it was a sad, but good day. Tomorrow's my new beginning, wish me luck. I'll let you know how it goes.

Sissy

4 comments:

stephanie said...

Nicely said. This is where the word "bittersweet" comes from.

Wishing you a delightful new beginning :)

sissy said...

Stephanie-
Thanks so much. I appreciate it.
Sissy

non compos mentis said...

hey, Sissy...u know what its really so great to be loved so much..u r suc agood person, i swear, i wish i knoew how to talk like u... i have a bad temper and sometimes end up fighting with people...then, i regret it later... even when its not my fault... im so happy to get to knw u...

chikku :)

sissy said...

Chikku-
Hey, I know what you're saying. I also suffer from the dreaded foot in mouth disease. I do all right if I think first, but that rarely happens. :-)
Sissy