Friday, March 7, 2008

Topic of the Day


Romance

To each person romance means something different. To some, romance is candlelight dinners or walks on the beach. To others, romance is hiking through the woods and sleeping close inside a tent made for one. Others, romance is dancing on the rooftops of city buildings. To me, many things are romantic.

I really feel the romance when a man washes my hair or paints my toes. I love seeing my name written in the sand. I love when it's cold outside and when there is only one coat available, I get it, no questions asked. I love in the winter when my guy goes out into the cold and warms my car up for me so it's warm when I go to work. Things like this are what make my heart smile.

Sure, I love the thought of taking a private jet to Paris for dinner, or jetting to the carribbean spur of the moment, and I love the possibility of getting very sparkly, large jewelry. Hello, what woman doesn't? Those things are great. Unrealistic, but great to imagine.

Money isn't romantic. And, frankly, flowers aren't romantic either if they come from an a**hole. It's all about the company and the honesty. Which is my point. It's who you're romantic with, not where or how. It's the genuine emotion and thought that goes into a moment spent together that makes it romantic, not long, deep planning based on a cliche or pocketbook.

I guess I'm reaching for something to say here. It's late and I'm sitting at home alone, maybe wishing I was feeling the romance right this minute. Romance is lacking in my life. However, it was recently our 8th anniversary of our first date. We spent it watching the movie we saw on our first date together, just as we have each year since that first date.

Now that is romantic.
Sissy

3 comments:

non compos mentis said...

lovely post... i enjoyed every line of it...jus one diff....I LOVE FLOWERS whoever gives them to me....yeah.. but ur rite...t cant be romantic, it true feelings r not involved...every year u watch 'THAT' movie on you anniversary.... thats really romantic...very very romantic... wouldn't u remember all that happenend on ur 1st date then???wow...till a few weeks back, i had this feeling that, romance slacking in my life.i felt inspite f the hugs n kisses, still romance was lacking..but then after the trip to sSt.louis, i realised that i was the one blocking romance.It was alws there..Romance like love has to happen from both the sides..I realised that there was romancein every small thing which i was ignoring.i didn;t see it.when i was ready to receive it without expecting too much, i started experiencng it...my plm is that i expect a lot n this just brings disappointmnets n miss we miss thw romance that exists.wow..u gave me a great topic to think about.im sure u r gona have a great time at ur romantic trip to thr beach.. may b we shouldn't just expect much n then it would all be a lota fun n romance.

sissy said...

I agree. It's hard to get past romance as a stereotype and to realize that it comes in many different forms. Love is vast and grows, so romance must too. By really looking for it in places we don't normally than we realize that it was there all along, we just didn't have our eyes open. I'm trying really hard to not do that any more. We're leaving Monday and that's romantic enough, regardless of what happens. And, I admit, I get excited every year when we watch our movie. I know we'll spend the day talking about how we first met, our first date and how we felt.

non compos mentis said...

u know what???? im getting excited thinking baout your trip now....lol