Saturday, March 1, 2008

Topic of the Day


The Need for Interaction

I'm not the most social person I know. I'm very outgoing and do enjoy people. I work with the public and absolutely love meeting new people and having conversations with them. However, during my own downtime I'm just not a butterfly. I prefer the solitude of my own home and the laughter of my own kids. I adore time with my family. I should be more social, I know plenty of people to be social with, but I just don't do it often.

I've been thinking lately though that I should change that. I'm thinking that maybe part of my issues here at home are because of my lack of 'oneness' with myself, my lack of having a life that doesn't involve my family. Perhaps if I had more of a life outside the home than I'd be more happier inside the home.

The only problem I foresee with that is that I am somewhat of a social snob. Well, maybe not so much snob as in particular. I love the variety of people but don't neccesarily want to 'hang out' with them. When it comes to my time I am very picky about who I spend it with. I am very picky about who I do let into my life. I suppose I don't trust a lot of people. And I know for sure that there are certain behaviors displayed by people that just drive me crazy and I can't stand to be around it. I won't go into that this time.

The upside to my snobbery is that those few friends I have in my life and am close with are very exceptional humans. I absolutely adore them and love spending time with them. I trust them and feel trusted by them. Unfortunately, they do not live close enough to see often.

I think I need to learn to lower my standards a little bit and realize that not everyone can fit my mold. There are some characteristics that I will have to learn to tolerate from people if I want to be social. I don't want to be snob!!! I hate them. But people get on my nerves!! I'm horrible.

The thing is, as I'm getting older I'm beginning to realize the importance of having people in our lives. Relating is important. The feedback, support, humor, laughter and companionship you get from other people is a very fullfilling part of life. And it's a part I'm somewhat lacking.

From this point on, I'm making a point to not be so dang picky with others, to extend my friendliness beyond casual conversation and to make time to build friendships.

Wish me luck,
Sissy

1 comments:

non compos mentis said...

hey... all the best on that,.. hope u get really good friends and wouldn't have to hang around with people who get on ur nerves....hihihi...But even i cant toleratethe attitude f most people.N i wish my close friends were near me....


chikku :)