Saturday, March 8, 2008

Topic of the Day


Where Have the Choices Gone??

Growing up I remember hearing my grandparents and even parents discuss the 'good old days'. Frankly, I didn't understand what could have been so great without color TV, walkman cassette players or Culture Club (Yikes! I know, don't say it please!!). But that's how I felt. I mean, at one point girls couldn't even wear pants to school!! What was so damn good about those days??

Well, of course, I didn't really get it. It wasn't there love of black and white television or listening to the Shadow on the radio that made them long for those days, it was the loss of values, the loss of safety and, my biggest gripe, the loss of having choices. They missed America in its purest form. Though I'm sure my grandma could definitely tolerated there being no Culture Club in the world.

As I mentioned, my biggest beef is that there aren't many choices available to us any more. Should I work? I have to, there's no choice there. Should I have only one or two children? I can't afford any more, I have no choice. Should I rent a house? I can't buy one, I have no choice. Should I buy a used car? I have no money for a new one, I have no choice. Should I drive my kids two blocks up the street? Children are being stolen from their own homes, I have no choice.

But listening to my grandparents tell me about those good ol' days and life was choices. Mothers worked if they so chose to, they sure didn't have to because fathers were able to take care of the family. A family was not a financial burden, but a blessing. A newly married couple had the ability to choose and buy a new home to start their life in. If you wanted a new car, you went down and bought one, with no credit check or money down. And the kids were allowed to roam all over town without the fear of being stolen and violated.

I do love life today. I love so many of things that have come to be over the years. I do love color TV, though I've outgrown Culture Club. But I so wish those days of choices and options were still here for us to enjoy. I wish that having children, a home, a car to drive and an education wasn't something for the wealthy to enjoy while the rest of struggle to pay electric bills and ride buses and never own a home.

I do have a lot to be grateful for. I do own a newer car and I did get an education and my children are taken of. However, I struggle daily to pay my bills and give my kids more. I'm not complaining, I am well aware that I have much more than many people in this country do. I grew up one of those people, and those are the people I ache for. I wish that the good, loving, decent people of this country all had equal opportunity for life's successes. Because contrary to how great this country is, and it is, there is still a lot of unfairness here.

I miss the good ol days too!
Sissy

4 comments:

non compos mentis said...

it was so great o you to think of others too.... but its so true... the world is moving in a direction of which we have absolutely no idea..everyone is clouded by this feeling of insecurity...its not just about this country...thats how the world is now...n i feel really sad about it....one f the reasons for this is the "i don care" attitude of us...we just talk about it, but most of dont do anyhting to make a dfference...n yeah, it has obviously crossed a stage where a small group can make a difference..if there has to be a change now,den every single man has to try for it....

sissy said...

You're so right. It's one thing to talk the talk, but a whole other to walk the walk. It doesn't do any good to talk about change if we don't do what we can to try and help make change happen. And it's sad that people don't care like they should about each other.

non compos mentis said...

hey...i have tagged you... check out my blog....

chikku :)

non compos mentis said...

hey...about the meme... u did it riote... but u must post t in ur blog...its okai even if u don post the entire thing on myu comment.. u can add a comment that u r done...but plz make sure u post it in ur blog....hope u r having a great time n thanx 4 playing...

chikku :)