Thursday, March 13, 2008

Topic of the Day


I Love Kevin Spacey

I really love movies. I love all kinds of movies: horror, action, sci fi, romance, comedy, drama and so on, in no particular order. I love them for so many reasons. The escape, the entertainment, the appreciation of the entire process and the ability of others to convince me they are someone else. Granted, I don't know them, so it's not so hard to pretend they are who they say they are on the big screen. It might be harder to buy if it was my mother up there. I mean, I actually know who she is, bad habits and all. It'd be a little hard to get past it.

I have many favorite movies, but only one best favorite: Field of Dreams. I have many favorite actresses: Angelina Jolie (who's probably my most favorite), Julia Roberts, Jodie Foster, Sandra Bullock (whose comic talent is highly underrated). I also have many favorite actors: John Travolta, Nicolas Cage, John Cusack, Gabriel Byrne and, MOSTLY, Kevin Spacey. (Note: I really have lots more favorites, but not enough to mention all).

Anyway, Kevin Spacey has been my consistent favorite for many years. I think, though I'm not positive, that the first time I saw him was in the movie Seven (with Brad Pitt). I may have seen him before but I can't recall. What blew away about him went beyond his ability to connect with his character in a way that was so convincing and believable that it was borderline uncomfortable. Can you imagine how he felt? The thing that really got me was how he managed to steal the show, take the spotlight from actors like Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman and almost make you forget they're in it (well, not really cuz they're awesome, but you get my point). And he did this with only being in the movie for minutes. He doesn't even show up til the bitter, climactic end. Incredible!!

Then I saw him the Usual Suspects. Poor sweet Verbal!! Whatever. I was fooled. He was mesmerizing and captivating and totally believable and so on. His performance could only be upstaged by the incredibly clever and intricate plot and climax.

Now, I don't really love everything he is in. I really didn't care for American Beauty or Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. However, his talent still shone bright. And John Cusack was great in the latter too. I did enjoy K-Pax, Pay it Forward, The Life of David Gale (an underwatched and underappreciated movie also starring Kate Winslet), Fred Claus, the Negotiator and a Time to Kill. Yikes, I can't name them all...there's too many!

Kevin Spacey makes a not great movie bearable. He has a subtle presence that screams out. I'm guessing that's an oxymoron of a sentence, but it's true. His looks and charm are not flashy like those of Nicolas Cage or John Travolta. He's more everyday guy, yet not. Am I making any sense here, folks?? All I have to say is that he makes paying $8 for a movie a little less painful.

Thanks for listening to me ramble,
Sissy

4 comments:

non compos mentis said...

wow....im so glad to see ur post... i just read the last post, added my comments and refreshed the page.... n here...ur new post... Angelina Jolie and Tom Hanks are my favouriites....

sissy said...

thanks...love tom hanks too. i remember seeing for the first time in the movie splash, with daryl hannah. it was a movie in the 80's where he falls in love with a mermaid. i don't know if you've seen it but it's a good, clean, funny and cute love story. my kids like it too. did you see girl, interrupted? angelina jolie was amazing. anyway, if i don't 'see' you again before then, have a good weekend. Sissy

non compos mentis said...

I haven't seen both these movies....lol... but im adding them to my blockbuster list right now... Actually what made me like tom hanks so much is forrest gump... he was a,amzing in that movie...

sissy said...

yeah, that movie was soo great. he was absolutely amazing!! i really like gary sinise too (lieutenant dan). i cry every time i see it!!