Friday, February 29, 2008

Topic of the Day


Cute Boys

Ok, life is cruel. It's true. I can't figure it out, and suppose I don't really want to as it wouldn't be nearly as exciting. However, that said, I have to address one major cruelty. Granted, I am a married woman, who is trying to fall in love with her husband more, but I am still human.

I'm gonna go back, way back...to my youth. Now, I was born in the seventies but didn't really live until the late eighties and early nineties. My teen years were spent all over the country, but that's irrelevent, I get off track.

One thing I remember most about being a teenage girl is having crushes on the boys. During many of my various stages I had crushes on River Phoenix, Kirk Cameron (shhh....my secret shame), and even Corey Haim (ok, now I have to change my name and move to Canada!!). And, of course, I was deeply and truly in love with each and every one.

In spite of my true love emotions I was never to profess my love to these beautiful men. Why? Was it because I didn't know them? No. Was it because they lived thousands of miles away? No. Was it because they wouldn't give me the time of day? No. No. And no. The reason I never had the chance with any of my loves is because I was a child for crying out loud!! I was cursed being born too late for them. It was horrifying. They were twenty and I was thirteen. Why me?? I couldn't wait for the day I would be old enough to spend my life with one of them.

Well, guess what? That day came and went. And guess what else? I still didn't marry Corey Haim or John Cusack (who I still love by the way:-). I became old enough for them and yet nothing happened. Even worse, I never ever realized I was old enough for them. Had I, I would have realized that I didn't know them, they lived thousands of miles away and they wouldn't have given me the time of day anyway.

Curses on you, father time!!!

So, time has gone past and though I still appreciate attractiveness, I am no longer pining for those boys. I actually like men now. Anywho.... I'm much older now and smarter and realistic. I realize that those dreams were just dreams and that's good because the real thing rarely matches up the dream.

Ok, so I'm caught up to the present and here's what kills me. I have young daughters and have noticed that some of the young celebrity guys my teenagers age are really adorable. Drake Bell is a doll. Harry Potter has gotten downright cute. Hayden Christenson is very fine. Now, my daughter is devastated she's too young , and I realize that I'm devastated because I am no longer too young. Suddenly, I'm too old. I went from too young to too old and completely passed the 'just right' phase. Where was it? How long did it last? And why the hell did I miss it?

It's a cruel joke. A sad, sorry reality. Now, the new 'babes' ( as we used to say) are the same age as my child. It's horrifying. So, I have to thank goodness for the likes of Brad Pitt, George Clooney, and the new James Bond (what's his name, Daniel something I think?), because, thanks to them, us not young women have someone to fantasize about without feeling as if we belong in pervert jail.

But still, Drake Bell is very cute!

Young Enough,
Sissy

5 comments:

non compos mentis said...

hi Sissy...
Another sincere outflow of ur feelings...is it so??Y is t trying to fall in love with ur husband????y don u make it......in love wiht my husband... okai now..thats jus a suggestion...

chikku :)

sissy said...

hey chikku-
well, as much as i'd like to say things are great here in my marriage, they're not. he's ten years older than me. we've been married the better part of a decade and we have both changed. sadly, it hasn't always been in the same direction. though i love the heck out of him, i don't really like who he's become in many ways. but i'm working on it, and i think he is too. i never fell out of love, we just have lost something. i think we can find it though. i hope. thanks for thinking of me. i appreciate the advice and the fact you listen to me. :-)

non compos mentis said...

hi sissy...
im sure everything would work out well between the two of you.May be its just the time.I feel after all the porblems, all that matters is love n im sure u do love him a lot n he does love u too...Everything else would be justa matter of time...im sure u both would have a great time togethr.May b u both can try taking a trip together n having a long chat about all that u both would like to change...Anywaz...since u said "i love the heck out of him", im sure everything would go great....
Inspite of the fact that im married for justa year sometimes i doubt if its going in the right direction, but then i think of all the positive things about him.I feel what have happened if it was someone else in his place.So ultimately i come to the conclution that he s the best for me...All guys i feel in some way r strange,They need us for everything n cant accept it....hihihi

chikku :)

sissy said...

THanks. I appreciate it. You're right on about a lot of things. We are going away this month. I'm hoping it'll be the start of a new great phase. As much as he annoys, he means a lot to me. We have two beautiful daughters together. Thanks again.

non compos mentis said...

wow....thats great...hope u both have a great time....

chikku :)