Friday, April 25, 2008

Flirting, Or Friendly Conversation??

Last night me and the husband and kids went to good old Wal-Mart. Hey, we need excitement too! As well as toothpaste. Anyway, we managed to accumulate all of our necessities, which always seem to total at least a hundred dollars, which we can ill afford. We proceed to checkout.

Ox and kids stand idly by while I control the debit machine. Our checker is a young man about 20ish. He is very nice. Comments on my movie purchase (The Princess Bride, love it). He loves it too! Insert shared laughter about key film parts. Now we discuss the crazy weather. It's hot, it's cold. Dang, I had to start a fire last night, and was wearing cutoffs yesterday, what's up with the bipolar weather??

Purchases made, leave the store. Now we are driving home. Yee Haw...Def Leppard concert on the radio. Wait, no, he's turning it off. I was listening to that you know.

"It was fun watching that kid hit on you," he tells me. What? He was not!! "Yes, he was," says the peanut gallery in the backseat (thanks Slim). I explain we were simply having a friendly conversation and no one was hitting on anyone. I proceed to say that I have conversations such as those several times a day with customers at work. "So, guys hit on you all day?" he asks. Ummm...ok, now what do I say? NO ONE hit on me!! He insists differently. Well, I say, if he was flirting with me than I was flirting with him too as were both enjoying the conversation. "Yes, you were flirting too," he says.

Now what do I say? I thought it was a nice, fun conversation. The boy was young enough to almost be my son. Well, not quite, but young anyway.

So, my question is this: what's the difference between flirting and friendly conversation? Is there a difference? If so, am I skanky and flirty with the boys/men? Where's the dang line? How do I know when I cross it?

So, then I had to do a repair job. He's wondering why his wife and the Wal-Mart clerk are flirting right in front of him. And I'm wondering why he's so uptight because I enjoy conversing with people. And if the conversation I had with that person was flirtatious then I am sorry to say I do flirt daily, and not only with the boys!!

Sissy

4 comments:

Hunters Glory said...

Well according to Webster,

flirt:
1: to move erratically
2 a: to behave amorously without serious intent b: to show superficial or casual interest or liking (flirted with the idea); also : experiment (a novelist flirting with poetry)
3: to come close to reaching or experiencing something —used with with(flirting with disaster,the temperature flirted with 100°)

I think your husband may have felt like he was flirting with you w/o you knowing it. Males can pickup on this when other males are doing this... just like women can do w/ other women (or at least I believe this.... as it has happened w/ my wife laying into another gal w/ verbal warnings and I didnt know why until she told me she was hittin on me...made me laugh cuz I sure didnt take it that uh way)

You were simply having a friendly conversation and as long as that was all you were doing, I don't believe you were flirting with him. But, since it was apparent from the box seats and the peanut gallery...well I have to go with the crowd on this one....I think he was hittin' on you....take it as a compliment!

sissy said...

LOL...thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I have a great peanut gallery. :-) It's funny because there are plenty of times someone will comment that I'm being hit on and I'm like 'huh??' Now way. As a note, I take any form flattery I can!! I've been working hard to try and look as good outside as I do inside and maybe it's paying off!! Thanks.
Sissy

non compos mentis said...

Wow!Thats a great compliment.. n yeah, Ox got J..J...Jealous...Hey, u know, there r times when i talk to guys n get the same doubt as u do here.. but i guess its irrelevant cuz u love ur husband n is completely loyal to him... So nothing else matters...

love
chikku :)

sissy said...

Chikku-
You have a very good point. It really is irrelevant. I'm just gonna chalk it up to a compliment and maybe try to be a little more aware when the husband is with me.
Sissy