Monday, April 28, 2008

My Bucket List

I saw the movie the Bucket List and even though it is so unrealistic it's almost ridiculous, it is still a fun, joyful, emotional movie that I really liked. So I got to thinking about what would be on my bucket list if I had one. Right away a million things come to mind: shop at mall with a no limit credit card, marry Brad Pitt :-), own a Corvette for every it's made, to name a few. But these are absurd. More like fantasy. What I wanted to think about is what would I TRULY want to put on that list. I imagined that I suddenly know my time is up, what is my next move? Other than spending every spare moment with my family, what would I want to do? Frankly, I really feel that having the luxury of being able to say goodbye is a bittersweet blessing that I think would make it easier. Yet that isn't DOING something, it isn't satisfying that need to have no regrets, the need to be able to say 'I did that'. So, I'm gonna try to keep it to a minimum. Here is my bucket list:

Parachute out of an airplane. That's right, I really do want to jump out of a perfectly good plane. I want to feel that rush of being weightless, free falling through the clouds and wind.

Follow Route 66 all the way from start to finish on the back of a motorcycle, arms around my favorite guy.

Go to Ireland. I don't know why, I just do. I'm certainly not Irish, at least not in this life.

Take my kids to Disney World. The way my life is going I'll never even make Disneyland, but Disney World would be the absolute best. Disney really is the happiest place on Earth.

Swim with dolphins. Ok, I'm terrified of the ocean. Well, not actually the ocean. It's beautiful, I love to swim and I love the beach. However, other than losing my kids, sharks are just about the one and only thing that really terrifies. I mean it. I hate them. I can't even see them on TV, even fake ones, without being scared and having nightmares. But I love dolphins and can't imagine the feel of one touching me as we glide effortlessly through the blue water. The clear water, so I can see what's coming.

Visit every inch of the Smithsonian. The history of this country: old and new, good and bad, fun and miserable can all be found at the Smithsonian. Every incredible and fascinating thing in our past, present and future is there and I want to see every bit of it.

Learn to ballroom dance. I love it. I love to see it and when I'm alone I love to pretend I know how to do it. In this lifetime, I'd like to more than pretend. Preferably, I'd like to learn with my husband, but that won't happen.

Make up with my dad. I miss him.

So, there it is. My bucket list. I suppose there is more, I'm sure of it. But I won't be greedy. I'll just keep it to a minimum and save some stuff for someone else's bucket list.

Here's to hoping I'll not be kicking any time soon,
Sissy

4 comments:

non compos mentis said...

Hi,i lioked ur list..I hope all of them come true...Still, im not sure about about swimming with the dolphins...lol... but it must be fun..ven i wana learn ball room dancing...i dont think there is a possibility..lol...hey, dont u guys dance for ur weddings...What kinda dance did u do???Im sure everything would become fine between u n ur dad...

chikku :)

Hunters Glory said...

the dad thing should be numero uno and then let the rest of the buckets fall as they may (as long as you are able to do them while you can)

Good read.

stephanie said...

Nicely done. And doesn't it make you think - why am I not doing things to make this stuff happen? Or maybe you are; if so, hurrah :)

I'm having my Leadership students start their Life Lists this week. I'll post mine on my list blog...

sissy said...

Chikku- We danced, very slowly and carefully. LOL. I'll let you know if any of them come true.
Sissy

Hunters Glory- Dad is definitely number 1. No particular order. I just wasn't sure I was gonna put it on since it opens cans of worms I'm not sure I want to talk about.
Sissy

Stephanie- I'm working on working on them. Does that make sense? CAn't wait to see yours.
Sissy