Friday, April 18, 2008

Topic of the Day

Teenage Girls

I remember being a teenager as being a very fun and happy time for me. I wasn't worried about adult issues, like sex and relationships, I just wanted to have fun. Well, that did change and I ended up a mother at 18. However, until I was 17, being a teenager was all about fun. I hung out with friends, my sister, went to movies and the mall. Good times. And, to be honest, my parents seemed pretty pleased with who I was too. I got a long with them and actually enjoyed conversing with them as well. Maybe I'm a weirdo, who knows?

But times have changed. Teenage girls do not have the same kind of fun that we did. They are worried about the adult issues, like sex and guys and makeup and being cool. Cool, to me, was buying the newest Van Halen cassette (that's right,no cd's). But not now. I think about this a lot since I have daughter who is almost 16, and she's had more boyfriends already than I practically have my whole life.

She's a good kid, mostly. Kind of total brat when it comes to school and helping around the house. But she hasn't gotten into drinking or smoking and has not ever been in any real trouble at school. (listen, I'm knocking as I write). That said, she still finds it necessary to have a boyfriend or she's bummed out, and when she has one she is totally absorbed in it. He becomes her life, and they speak to each other as if they are old married people, even referring to each other as spouses!! wtf!!???

Kids should not be like this!! They should be worried about other things. But not about sex and relationships and drinking. I just don't understand and feel bad that they are growing up so fast. When I was a young girl growing up fast meant we needed to finally buy a training bra at 12 years old. Nowadays the 12 year old girls are already growing bigger boobs than me!!

Frankly, my daughter is like an alien to me. I just can't understand her. I try. I'm a pretty cool mom. I'm pretty lenient and kickback. She doesn't really have any chores. She is doing horrible in school and isn't grounded for life (though I'm seriously considering that option). But no matter what I do, I just don't get her. I ask her to take out the trash or pick up the bathroom or tell her to come inside and she acts as if she was just told she was going to military school. I'm such a slave driver!! Whatever!

I love her, but I'm beginning to think I made mess of it along the way somewhere. I grew up and did what I was told, and didn't whine and sulk and get pissy about it. I didn't consider it an act of tyranny when I was told to do dishes. Oh, where have I gone wrong? Ok, that's a little dramatic, but still. Who the heck is this foreigner in my house?

Dazed and Confused,
Sissy

7 comments:

Hunters Glory said...

Typical relationship 'tween a parent and a teenager. I have a teenage daughter as well and this just seems all too familiar. Times have changed and it is sad for them. This the age they are discovering their independence so the parents are just an after thought or even a disturbing thought. Don't beat yourself up too bad, most that which you say is normal (for you and her)

I often think back to when I was a teenager and that I put my parents through...guiltiness now creeeeeeping in.
Hang in there mom!

BTW love your logo!

sissy said...

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I appreciate the support. I'm thinking of starting a Parents of Teenagers support group...LOL. I try very hard not to remember what I put my parents through when I had to tell them I was pregnant at 17!! Yikes, talk about a nightmare. I may get a few gray hairs but I think I'll make it through...until the little one approaches these years....
Sissy

Hunters Glory said...

Parents of Teenagers group ....?
Not a bad idea. You sure would or should get the readers. I think you need to think through that as it has some possibilities.

As hard as it is for the child to be a teenager, I think it is harder to be parent of a teenager. Funny I thought that when I was a teenager and that which my parents went through; and I wasnt a bad kid! But the expense and pressures they endured, (as we are doing now) are at times unbearable.

sissy said...

It's funny how much your outlook changes and you realize years later what it was like for your parents when you were young. At the time, you felt it was hardest on yourself, and didn't really consider your parents. Now look... and you try to pass that on, to no avail. It's a cruel world!!
Lol
Sissy

non compos mentis said...

Hi Sissy,
my parents were here n so i have missed a lot of ur posts... lots pending to read.I really cant comment much on this as u would know/First of all, i dont have a child...second, my teenage which just passed a few years back was that of a typocal indian girl...many crushes,infatuations,a heart break...n it was all over..But its really the ebst part of the life i feel...college and friends..But im happy ur daughter isn't into drinking or smoking..thats so good... If you think,something is not going right, may be u can just try talking to her, just the two of you...may be that will help...But i guess its just the age...i remember my mum complaining about me being very arrogant thise days...

sissy said...

chikku- i attribute a lot of my daughters behaviors to normal hormones in an abnormal world. i think she'll make it through ok, i just wish she'd study once in a while and do some dang homework too. LOL
sissy

non compos mentis said...

hihihihihihihihi.....i like that....