Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Topic of the Day

Generosity and Kindness

In my opinion are just not nice enough any more. Not that there aren't nice people, of course there are. But, for the most part, people just don't seem as nice as they used to.

However, today was a good day for nice people. I work at the bank, handling the business accounts. I meet a lot of people every day. Most are not new customers, as I handle most of the same accounts each day. Yet there are days when I do get to meet some new people, when I'm having slow days with my merchants.

I've found that it's true people don't seem to be as nice, as I mentioned. However, with that said, I stress the word 'seem'. I've discovered that it may seem as if someone isn't very neighborly when, in fact, they are, but don't show it. My guess is that they figure the same as I do, that people aren't kind anyway. Or perhaps they are just to busy.

Today, was a slow day and so I was able to take some time with people that I don't usually have the luxury of doing. Having a leisure conversation with anyone is a luxury I'm rarely afforded at my job. But having been able to today, and enjoying it immensely, got me to thinking about the different people I have met through work.

I have been given candy, flowers, cards and many thoughtful treasures, as well as some verbal praise at work from the customers. I have broken through some tough exteriors of people most of my co-workers can't stand because of rudeness.

I think of them now and smile. The simple act of remembering a bitter seeming older lady's name changed her from nasty to nice. Going the extra mile for a business company earned me not only praise but a handshake from a customer that does little more than complain. Discovering missing paperwork for another very needy customer was thanked by a dinner at their restaurant. I was told upon my return from vacation that I was missed, by a customer that is referred to the jerk of the bank by some (and also happens to be my manager's grandpa). She, herself, was shocked by his saying it.

Now, I'm not bragging about the things being nice may get you in terms of gifts. What I mean to stress is that by simply being kind to people, offering assistance that goes just a bit beyond, and remembering a person's name is a friendly act that will often get you the same in return. Do unto other's, right?

It's nice that they think of me at Christmas and bring me Poinsettia's. It's nice that they bring me candy on Halloween. And it's nice that remember I have kids and bring them small gifts on holidays. I love that they do and find it so thoughtful. However, the best return I get for my kindness are those little things like getting a smile from the grumpy old person, or the handshake from our 'pain in the butt' customer, or the kind words from someone notoriously hard to please.

Kindness begets kindness....

Sissy

2 comments:

non compos mentis said...

Hi Sissy,
I cant believe i have 2 posts pending...anyway, im ha[[y read both.. ur absolutely right....I mena i agree 125%...I have mostly had people talking to me well here..But remember once when i had taken a bus to Chicago n this guy in bus was very rude cuz we didn have change for $100.Not that he didn't have change with him.Then another time at Steak n Shake.The worst was when we went for skiing once.It turned out to b a bitter experience after the guy who was supposed to teach us behaved like he doesn't care what happened to us or what we did.But there was another guy who was really good with us..I mean, these are the times when i have really felt completely out of place.But i have to agree that most of the times i have been treated well with respect.

chikku :)

sissy said...

I agree that some people can really put a pisser on your day. And that aggravates me. I don't know why people have to be rude. It doesn't make anyone's life any easier, that's for sure. At least there are enough nice people that I tend to maintain some faith in humanity as a whole!
Sissy