Saturday, April 19, 2008

The Forbidden Kingdom

We just got home from watching the new Jackie Chan/Jet Li movie, The Forbidden Kingdom. I have been a giant Jackie Chan fan for a VERY long time and have seen pretty much everything he's been in, including the movies he made in Hong Kong. I even own and have actually read his biography. (As a note: I really loved it and found myself feeling inspired, saddened, humored and touched by his story, I recommend it for sure).

Though I can't say I've been a huge Jet Li fan for forever and a day I can say that I have been a fan for a while. I guess it was probably when Lethal Weapon 4 came out (I love those movies). I thought Jet Li was amazing and found myself wishing I was his beloved girlfriend, oops!! I mean, pupil, of course.

I don't have an infatuation with Asian men, martial arts, Asian culture or films, though I do tend to love martial arts films, I admit. I pretty much love action movies. Well, lots of movies really. But I have a soft spot for action. And I really love a great action movie bad guy...and good guys too, sometimes. Jackie Chan is the good guy, and how can you not love him? But Jet Li is sooooo good when he's bad.

Back to the movie. In it, both are good guys. Actually, both are two (adding up to four) good guys. Both have dual roles. I won't give away any details, promise. No spoilers here!

When I heard about this movie I was so excited I almost peed my pants. Okay, maybe it was more of a dribble, but I was REALLY excited anywho. I could not wait to see my two favorite Asian action stars in one movie! It was too good to be true. I've been waiting patiently for it, knowing it had to be amazing to see them two working together.

Was I disappointed, or satisfied? Guess....

Ok, I won't make you guess. I loved it!!! Loved it, loved it and loved it. Did I mention, I loved it?

Well, I have to be honest and admit that the plot was reminiscent of some other movies I've seen, but what movie isn't? But it just didn't matter. It was too much fun.

We all know that Jackie Chan is a funny guy. He often seems the reluctant, bewildered hero (not counting the Rush Hour films). He's just funny and comes across as lovable. This movie was no different, aside from having some serious dreds going on. However, what some may not realize is that Jet Li is also quite funny and charming. To be honest, I didn't really know myself. Though he does take on his more serious persona that I find so sexy and mysterious he also has a role that is, frankly, silly and ridiculous. I mean that in a good way. He was too cute.

As a side note while I'm talking about characters here I have to say the kid in the movie (can't recall his name) reminds me so much of Colin Ferrell. Is it just me? Anyway, he was really cute, though he had chest chair but seemed so young. Not sure why I associate chest hair solely with large, older men, but I do.

Okay, I'm focusing.

Naturally, there has to be fight scene between the two. Who would forgive the filmmakers if they cast Jackie Chan and Jet Li in a movie together and then didn't have a fight scene? It would be like casting Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers and then they never dance.

So, the fight scene was quite long (thank you!!) and very fast paced (thanks again!!). And it was so entertaining. They played off of each other so well. What fun it would have been to be there while they made it. There is a lot of moves that are much like what I first saw in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. You know, the floating on flowers and sword blades, but it's ok. Generally, I like the traditional and realistic fighting, but this kind is okay too. They are not supposed to be 'normal' men, so doing the impossible works fine.

So, I don't think I've given away very much about the actual movie. If you think I have, sue me. Not that you'll get much. I just wanted to sing my praises of a really fun movie starring to really great entertainers. I hope you will go see it too and enjoy it as much as I did.

See you at the movies,
Sissy

2 comments:

non compos mentis said...

I actually switched off my TV to read ur blog...n trust me..just to read ur vlog..im a TV addict... n thats latest cuz i just got my cable connection.That makes me less online these days..2 reasons i do are just to check my mails and read ur posts...
N trust me switching off the TV was so worth it... i loved this post.. u r so back to yourself..this is so u... i can see from this how much fun u had watching the movie... Though im not a bif action movie fan, i still love jackie chan..his action and humour have no comparisons...


love
chikku :)

sissy said...

glad you're back!! i did miss you. but sooo glad you had a great time with your parents.

congrats on the cable. i don't watch a ton of tv, but i do tivo a handful of shows that i deem necessary in order to fill my entertainment quota!

i do love jackie chan. he's so adorable and funny and charming.

again, glad you're back.

love, sissy