Thursday, April 10, 2008

Topic of the Day

A Healthy Dose of Unreality

Never underestimate the power of a good imagination. I realize that we must be grown up, but we don't have to numb and boring. We are encouraged from an early age to think big and use our imaginations to create things and take us places. Our parents want us to go outside or in our rooms and pretend something!! There's nothing to do, we say. Then pretend you're a horse or something, we were told.

Imagination will take you places. It turns your backyard into the African jungle, a tennis racket into a guitar, your bed into a roomy station wagon and your hallway into a runway. We laugh and play and pretend our mom's giant makeup kit is a super intelligent computer system. We don't need money or things to be happy, just our imaginations.

So, why is it when we get older we are told to put those imaginations away and focus, live in the real world. Stop living with your heads in the clouds, pay attention to school and work and so on. Your imagination is causing you nothing but trouble, they tell us.

Gee, which is it already?

Well, in my opinion, I think ceasing to use the imagination that gave us so much joy and entertainment as kids is a travesty! Why do we need to stop imagining things, playing make believe in our imagination? It's healthy. And it can still take us places. What's so wrong with imagining yourself as the first lady president, or imagining that your Oscar acceptance speech? Frankly, I often imagine how it might be if I suddenly became the criminal psychologist I wish I was.

I don't think we should be afraid of using our imaginations...we should be afraid of NOT using them.

Dream On,
Sissy

3 comments:

non compos mentis said...

Thats so right.I often imagine myself as everything i ever wanted to be in real... I often hear people telling me that i haven't changed a bit even after marriage.I was thinking why they expected me to change in the forst place.is it necessary that one day u get married and from next day, u r all that matured,new person...?

chikku :)

sissy said...

i know. it's funny. my kids always laugh at me cuz i'm constantly telling them "when i grow up"...i'm gonna be a....??? they think it's funny that i refer to myself as not grown up. of course i am grown up, but i just also appreciate a lot of the fun things from childhood, and i enjoy feeling and being youthful. really, the truth is...i don't ever wanna grow up!!
sissy

non compos mentis said...

Its good actually..Its great that u can talk that way..the most important thing is to be young at heart whatever our age is... You know what?after i got married, for a long time, i couldn't accept it that i was married...i thought i was still a kid...when someone asked me about my "Husband" i felt funny and strange.The moment the term husband comes up, im like...NO!!!its not about me... but i didn't have any plm being wiht Sj..just that i felt strange when someone mentioned him as my "Husband"...lol...then, people started advicing me about having kids... good lord, imagine, i thought i was a kid n then there are people asking me about me having a kid...aaaaahhhhhhh....lol

chikku :)