Sunday, April 13, 2008

Topic of the Day

When Cuteness Turns Annoying

Once upon a time I was dating a guy and he had this funny quirk where he would make this little blowing sound while he sleeps. He would lay next to me at night and I would hear this little whisper of escaping air gently passing his lips and fading into the dark. I would smile and chuckle about how I had never seen that before and that it was adorable and silly at the same time.

Ok, fast forward to some years later....

If I have to hear that whispering waking me from my sleep one more time I'm going to scream!! I mean it. There I am, relaxed and coasting into dreamland and suddenly, next to me, and sometimes felt on my skin, is this incessant deflating tire sound. Ugh! Not so cute.

I have to laugh at the sudden change. When I used to want to snuggle next to him due to its adorability factor, now I just want to elbow him and make him roll over so he'll stop. Honestly, it isn't even a snore. It's like the sound a ball makes when you let the air out of it. And if he's close enough and I have to hear that blasted sound or feel that hot air on me it really just makes me want to slug him, asleep or not.

Why do you suppose those little habits that once were charming and lovable become annoying and violence inducive? (is that a word??) And you know it's not just his little deflation, there's a lot of things I thought were once kinda cute and endearing and now find a pain in my butt and ridiculous.

He'll wake me up with it and the next morning I'm totally bitchy to him. That's right, he absolutely should have total control of his unconscious body functions, even in sleep. How can you be so annoying? Huh?? He has no clue, yet I'm still holding it against. Oh, you know what you did Mr. I-Have-A-Hole-In-My-Michelin??

That said, there are a few qualities about him that I loved then and I love now. Some are physical qualities, like his crows feet. He hates them, but I think they are the cutest, sexiest things ever. When we kiss I love taking my fingers and running them along the corners of his eyes. And he has this little way of puckering his lips when he says certain words. Awww...so cute. Reminds me of Tim Robbins, but cuter.

I don't know, marriage and years together really change you. You really become someone new. You are still you, but you're also a 'we' now. When you're just a 'dater', you're living to impress, open to that person, not focused on yourself. But when you're married and together some time you become more apt to focus on yourself again and so the things you the dater didn't mind are now a thorn in your married side.

However, that said, nothing beats being with someone who knows you so well. It's great knowing you can wake up with morning breath, leave off makeup for a week, burp after a large soda or smell like vomit after a week with the flu and that there is someone who loves you, wants you, needs you and all of those disgusting things just don't matter as much as the love that you share together, the comfort and companionship of finding your soul mate.

And I think I have...
Sissy

2 comments:

non compos mentis said...

Wow!!! I loved this post... i dont know y, but i like it when u write good things about ur marriage...I think u are back to yourself in this post..N yeah, about that sound..trust me...i hear it most of the days...lol....i swear i do.but then, i dont wake up hearing that n i have never thought that was cute..lol..It surely disturbs my sleep. since u had once thought it was cute, u cant complain..But i can complain... i never thought that was cute, not even in the first days of my wedding...hmmm....


chikku ;)

sissy said...

LoL...I guess I can't really complain, can I? Darn. I think at the time I just thought everything he did was cute!! And he is cute. Even when he's getting on my last nerve!! I may not post tonight, making a resume for a friend. Wanted to say hello.
Sissy