Saturday, April 5, 2008

Topic of the Day

In Need of a New Career

I'm reaching my limit at work. I suppose this is actually a phenomenon that many of us suffer from on a daily basis. Who really wants to work? Unless you're doing the job you love. If I were, how happy I'd be. But I'm not. I'm a college graduate with two degrees and I am a merchant teller for a bank.

Needless to say this is not the career path I was thinking of when I began school. I am a criminal justice graduate with dreams of entering the field. I have always wanted to be a part of the solution, to help and make a difference. I love the idea of being someone that can say they have mattered in the big picture. I guess we all want that.

Now, I know I do matter in may people's big pictures. My family and friends and so on let me know that I do matter in the grand scheme of things. And I love them for that. But that doesn't pay my bills, unfortunately. And it also doesn't feed my need for self accomplishment.

What I want to do is work with offenders on a very personal level or consult on investigations. I have a strong feeling for sex crimes. The reason is because there is a part of violent sex crimes that I believe goes unnoticed. I could expand on that thought, and I think I will, but not right now.

In going to school I planned on making these dreams a reality and gaining a feeling of being exactly where I should be, as well doing good in the world. However, things do not always go as planned. I live in a small town and am only recently coming to realize that I am not going anywhere. Aside from being married to someone who is anti-city, I have a very sick mother in law who is suffering from severe Alzheimer's.

Due to her illness we are here to stay. We can't leave dad to fend for himself. They're old and need us. So, I'm stuck in this small town with basically not options when it comes to fulfilling my career dreams. I pretty much have to drag myself to that job everyday.

I need a new career!! I'm overworked and over educated and under appreciated and under paid. but I am grateful that I do have a job. This is a hard place to find work. But I'm getting older and I'm feeling my chances slipping away.

Still hopeful,
Sissy

4 comments:

non compos mentis said...

Hi Sissy,
trust me i really can understand this... the last thing i ever wanted was to depend on my husband for all my needs.Though he s really sweet n doesn't make me feel that way,i still dont like it this way..im a post graduate in biotech n now not working... i just need to get my visa done..im on a dependent visa now....But now that the dance class has started, i like that im occupied.im not feeling very well..i'l get back o u soon...

chikku :)

sissy said...

sorry you're not feeling well. hope you're doing better. i was trying to get back into the swing of things here online and then i got a call that my little sister was put into the hospital for emergency surgery. so that has me preoccupied. if it isn't one thing it's another. anyway, still working on it. feel better.
sissy

non compos mentis said...

Oh,Thats sad... I hope she gets better soon...I just prayed her good health.. Does ur sis live in ur city???Take care...

chikku :)

sissy said...

she lives in another state. and she's doing fine. nothings serious. thanks so much. how are you feeling? better i hope.
Sissy