Monday, February 18, 2008

Topic of the Day


I haven't done a topic in a few days since I've been out of town. But I'm back so I'm gonna try to keep up.

Barbies
What little girl did not love Barbies? Ok, so some didn't. But most of us did. I can remember some of my first dolls. I had a Barbie size Wonder Woman that I loved so much, given to me by uncle. She was in love with my Luke Skywalker doll, of course. I also had a couple of very old dolls, the kind with the fake thick eyelashes. I loved her but a friend of mine bit her nose off. I was mad. Of course I wasn't mad because I was aware that someday that Barbie would be worth hundereds, I just missed my doll. One of my favorites was also my Jazzercise Barbie, bought for me when I was really sick. She wore blue leotards and rainbow leg warmers. As I got older my love of Barbies didn't cease, just changed. My new favorite was my Miko from Barbie and the Rockers, I also had Derek. The best part of Barbies now was that I also had a new step sister the same age who loved them as well. Barbies were our life. We had little money and therefore very few of the Barbie extras, like: furnitures and accessories. So we improvised. We would take everyday household items and turn them into Barbies much needed homes and accessories. Suitcases became bedrooms, bowls became bath tubs, rings became crowns and push pins were bent and became earrings. We made it work. And I had a mom that sewed so were loaded with clothes. We played one time until about four the next morning. It was a great time. Even as I became a teenager I never got rid of the Barbies, and neither did my sister. We wouldn't often play like we used to but we still took them out at times and would fix their hair and do a wardrobe makeover. Eventually, of course, we stopped all together. But I never did get rid of those dolls. I saved them. I hoped to pass on the love to my girls. I only prayed that they wouldn't burn in a fire the way my mom's did in a hope chest she was saving for me. They didn't burn. Slim was born and I was happy to have a girl. Sadly, though, she never liked Barbies. She probably only touched them three or four times, one of those times being to give away my favorite Miko to the neighbor girl. I was devastated. I took them away, she didn't like Barbies anyway. However, Piglet is another story. She loves Barbies and has mine as well as a ton of her own. I have bought her all the furniture and accessories I never had. I have made wonderful gowns for her and taught her all of 'tricks.' It's been such a good time that I often find myself sitting with her and playing as if I was six as well. I'll never lose my love of Barbies, I don't think any girl that grew up adoring them ever does. Barbie taught me how to care about my hygiene, nice clothes that match, the importance of great looking high heels and also that a girl can be anything that she wants to be: wife, mother, teacher, singer, dancer, astronaut or horse trainer. I owe Barbie a lot for helping me become a happy girl. Thanks Barbie, Sissy

2 comments:

non compos mentis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
non compos mentis said...

even if we all grow up, most of us are still kids at heart...i really enjoy reading ur blogs...keep writing....