Friday, February 22, 2008

Topic of the Day


Marilyn Monroe

While I was growing up, from about 8 years old, I developed a love for Marilyn Monroe. I'm not sure what prompted it. At that time I wasn't really aware of her icon status. I didn't even know what that was. I just knew that she was beautiful and I really liked her so much. Whenever I could, I would get anything that had to do with her. I read every magazine I could get my hands on in the hopes of finding mention of her or, better yet, a picture. The tabloids were a big source for me. Naturally, I didn't exactly have much money so my collection wasn't near as vast as I hoped for. I did buy things occasionally at the local flea market or the mall if I had allowance. And my family was great, buying me things for my birthday and Christmas. I even found a magazine that had pen pals who loved her too. I started writing, at 11, to a guy who loved her too. I was young and my letters were ridiculous and immature but, even so, he answered every letter and was nice enough to send me some post cards.

As I got older my infatuation did die off a bit. I wasn't quite as obsessed, though still loved her. And I do to this day. My collection is pretty much gone or packed away but I still have a love of her that takes me back to being a young girl.

I realized eventually that she really was an American icon and legend. I saw just how many people loved and love her. I thought my secret was out. LOL. I was almost disappointed, even though I understood.

I can see why she is so loved by so many. Aside from beautiful she represents a lot of positive things for girls. She came from a rough life, made some bad mistakes but kept going. She, like many of women, was a size 14. She was healthy too.

She's larger than life, contagious even. Though it seems as if her life did catch up with her in the end, I still believe she was a survivor, whose mistakes reminded us that she was one of us. And the truth is, she was the first beautiful starlet that made me proud to be female.

Until next time,
Sissy

0 comments: