Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Topic of the Day


Some of the Best Movies Ever (in my humble opinion)
Field of Dreams- Though I am listing my favorites in no particular order, I put this one first for a reason. Though the rest are favorites, this one is THE favorite. It goes without saying that someone who loves this movie either loves baseball or is a total mush master. I am the latter. However, tears aside (note: Moonlight Graham crossing that line to save the little girl), this movie is priceless to me because no matter how many times I watch it I can't find any flaws in it. It is perfectly casted, acted, written and filmed. I can't find a single thing to change. It's authentic and believable and no matter how many times I see it, it makes my heart smile.
The Whole 9 Yards- This movie has double value for me. It was mine and my husband's first date, so it strikes a senitmental chord that has nothing to do with the actual film. Eight years later we watch that movie on every anniversary of that first date. That said, this movie is absolutely hilarious. During this movie Matthew Perry takes me to days where physical comedy was at it's greatest, think: the Three Stooges, Steve Martin and John Ritter. I laugh my ass off every time he hits that door. It is ridiculous to brilliancy, witty and totally charming. I think Roseanna Arquette found salvation after Desperately Seeking Susan, whom no one found, thank God.

Practical Magic- This my absolute favorite number chick flick(though Legally Blonde is close). The filming is erotic, earthy, sensual and mysterious. The characters are loveable and charming, even though they lack believability. However, being a movie about witches entitles it to a great deal of unbelievability. I never would have guessed that Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman would have been able to pull off sisters, but they did. It's really just pure entertainment. After watching it, I almost wanted to join a coven. Almost.
Meet Joe Black- I always did like Brad Pitt. However, when I saw this movie I was definitely on board the Brad Pitt bandwagon. He was beautiful in it, visually and artistically. The whole movie had my heart in my throat. Anthony Hopkins was charming. When death and Claire make love it is the most sensual thing I've ever seen, and they only show their faces. I'm sure there are die hard fans of Death Takes a Holiday that maybe hate this movie, but I, myself find it an absolutely wonderful guilty pleasure.

The Usual Suspects- Ok, there's one big reason I love this movie. I am a movie junkie, fanatic even. Not very often am I blindsided, but this movie did it. I won't say much because if you haven't seen it, see it. The end will make your jaw drop. Well, written, better acted. Kevin Spacey is the bomb!!! And I really like Gabriel Byrne too. But I won't say any more for fear of ruining it.

Ghost- Ok, this is my gratuitous sappy love story movie. How can you not love it? Love killed before it really had a chance. Yet death will not hold it back!! And the chemistry between Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore is classic. Add Whoopi Goldberg for the comic element and you have a winner. Grab a tissue.

The Last Samurai- To be honest, I didn't want to see this movie. I really wasn't buying into the Tom Cruise hype nor did I want to see him in Samurai garb. But as it happens, I was desperate for a movie that weekend and had seen all the rest, so I found myself sitting down to a movie I was sure was going to bore me to death. I was wrong. It is a lovely, heart breaking, gut wrenching tale of self discovery, friendship, love and honor. Tom Cruise's character must find himself while living as a prisoner in a foreign culture. But he finds more. He finds love. He finds an otherworldly friendship and discovers that honor is the greatest asset to have. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time and cry like a baby every time I see it, out of sadness and joy.
Open Range- The weekend before I saw the Last Samurai I saw this movie. Again, I didn't have the highest hopes, though I have a fondness for Kevin Costner since my grandfather was his chauffer while making the Postman. Anyway, I found this movie so much more than a cinematic western shoot 'em up. The characters had charm and pride. The older tried passing their morals on by taking care of younger, needier ones. They find themselves in a die or fight spot and lose much along the way. But also gain more trust and love for each other, and defeat the bad guy of course. Naturally, the roughrider and the local spinster also find love with each other. The cinematography in this movie is amazing. Never once does the sound of rain or other ambient noises destroy the story. The characters are raw and definitive of what I think a cowboy was.

My Honorable Mentions:

The Man in the Iron Mask (Visually stunning and I love Jeremy Irons & John Malkovich)
Legally Blonde (A definite guilty pleasure, but she's so damn loveable)
The Mummy Movies (I just think they're fun)
Radio (Such a heart warmer and breaker)
Remember the Titans (you're hall of fame in my book!!)
Wuthering Heights (Laurence Olivier and Merle Oberon)
12 Angry Men (classic and brilliant)
To Kill a Mockingbird (the writing is great- thanks Harper Lee- Gregory Peck is awesome)
Dragonfly (a lovely thriller/love story with a sappy ending)
Erin Brockovich (Julia Roberts kicked ass in this movie- as does the real Erin)
Coyote Ugly (just a fun, sexy movie)
Pretty Woman (a classic Cinderella story)
Sneakers (a little known movie with Robert Redford, Sidney Poitier & River Phoenix I love)
13 Going on 30 (a fun movie with Jennifer Garner, the only current able to pull off 13)
Con Air (yeah, I love kick ass movies, especially ones with Nicolas Cage in a wife beater)
Face Off (another Nicolas Cage kick ass movie, but a Travolta bonus)
The Ten Commandments (been watching it since birth basically and Charlton Heston rocks)
Seven(very intense and gut shattering, Kevin Spacey is the bomb)
The Long Kiss Goodnight (I know, but I love a woman kicking butt for a change)


I could go on and on and on, but I won't.
See you at the movies,
Sissy

1 comments:

non compos mentis said...

You have given me a good list of movies to add on to my blockbuster queue....



chikku :)